Re: [OM] Strictly OT: System Crash

Subject: Re: [OM] Strictly OT: System Crash
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2011 16:16:55 -0400
Sounds like an "ordinary" disk I/O error... one of the only 1 in 10**14
bits (or some such) that are eventually due to plague you.  I suspect
(but don't know) that the flurry of disk I/O activity upon reboot was
probably the NTFS file system trying to figure out what was wrong with
itself and correct it if possible.  You don't say what you did to
eventually recover but I suppose it doesn't matter if you're now up and
running.

If your disk drive is about 3 years old or more I'd replace it on the
grounds of a cheap insurance policy.  Get a new drive and clone the old
before it's too late.  In general I have found that my drives last at
least 3 years and are generally technically obsoleted before they wear
out.  But I did have a 6 month old 1TB Seagate drive (used as my primary
images storage) give up the ghost within the past two weeks or
therabouts.  But it was kind enough to tell me it was failing, or, more
specifically, that it was likely to fail at some unknown time in the
future.  Apparently the correctable read error rate had risen to an
unacceptable level and the S.M.A.R.T system intervened and advised me to
replace the drive.  Had it been a RAID drive it would have automatically
rebuilt a replacement.  First time I've ever seen a S.M.A.R.T. system
message and intervention.

Chuck Norcutt