Re: [OM] panasonic 20mm am I mad

Subject: Re: [OM] panasonic 20mm am I mad
From: manuel viet <manuel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 16:30:14 +0200
Le vendredi 06 mai 2011 14:32:09, Chuck Norcutt a écrit :
> On 5/5/2011 7:36 PM, manuel viet wrote:
> > The mythology of 50mm being the 'normal' lens for 24x36 film is
> > simply the result of Barnack picking up something that was already
> > available in Leitz catalog when he designed the Ur Leica. Like the 3:2
> > ratio, this was an engineering decision, not a photographer's request.

>  It was certainly an engineering decision but
> whether it's consistent with already being in the Leitz catalog I don't
> know but suppose that it doesn't really matter.

Did I really wrote Leitz ? Seems so.  I meant Zeiss - the Ur Leica was first
engineered around a Zeiss kino lens as a lightmeter for cine cameras. Then
only when Leitz approved of the pre-production run, a Leitz lens was devised -
the Elmax, soon superseded by the cheaper and simpler Elmar.

Cheers,

--
Manuel Viet