Re: [OM] panasonic 20mm am I mad

Subject: Re: [OM] panasonic 20mm am I mad
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 13:20:01 +0200
Hi Ian,

I hate to tell you this, but you could have saved a couple of hundred francs by
buying it in the UK, for example at Ffordes it is 300 GBP now:

http://www.ffordes.co.uk/product/10072316352250

which translates into 425 CHF at today's exchange rate. You, you will pay some
shipping but on the other hand you will save the VAT since the lens is being
sent to Switzerland.

When I lived in Switzerland, I never bought anything photo-related locally
(well, except film, although even that I preferred to buy online from German
shops). It is simply too expensive--even taking into account that Swiss VAT is
far below that of other European countries.

As for Amsterdam, if the weather is nice, plant yourself next to the National
Monument on the Dam and take in the scenery. Just don't drink in the big bar
there, it is a ripoff. If you do want to have a drink while watching human
traffic, do it on Rembrandtplein. For more serious stuff, the Rijksmuseum is
really great, and for photo, check out the FOAM gallery on Keizersgracht, they
tend to have interesting exhibitions.

If you feel like tasting the Holy Grail of beer, Westvleteren, go to the Gollem
bar. It used to be on Raamsteeg but is temporarily closed. They have another,
less central location:
http://cafegollem.nl/?page_id=2
And finally my two favourite restaurants in Amsterdam are De Vijf Vliegen
(expensive):
http://www.thefiveflies.com/en/Home
and Café Rendez-Vous (inexpensive but excellent), Weteringsschans 75 (not far
from the Rijksmuseum, actually).

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman