Re: [OM] Royal Wedding in London

Subject: Re: [OM] Royal Wedding in London
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 09:02:31 +0930
On Sun, May 01, 2011 at 09:55:15AM -0300, John Hudson wrote:
> Here, the GG appointment is but a 30 cent phone call ! The prime minister
> calls up one of his pals and offers the ultimate patronage appointment for a
> term of five years :-) The previous GG referred to herself as the head of
> state on numerous occasions; she was canned at the first opportunity when
> her term was up. Word has it that she has re-emigrated to Haiti !
>
> jh

Same deal in Australia, mainly. The cynical view is that the appointment
is often a cronyistic selection by the PM as a reward for something,
though it seems more recently it is a notably prominent & popular
Australian. Her Majesty  is asked for her agreement - which is always
forthcoming -  as the office is effectively one of the viceroy who gives
'royal assent' to all legislation passed by the government du jour.

This is where the problem arises: what happens if the GG refuses assent
or is a truculent busybody who should, heaven forbid, get involved in
affairs of state? They break the sound barrier being levered out of the
office!  This is why I believe that if we are to be a republic, any
president should be elected for a fixed term by popular vote (say at a
lower house election)...

davidt