Re: [OM] Royal Wedding in London

Subject: Re: [OM] Royal Wedding in London
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 09:25:32 +1000
Our flag is a British ensign (indicating ownership) and our head of state a
British representative. I would have thought that the reasons were self-evident
- mainly symbolic of course but symbols are very important.
The selection and confirmation of the Governor General is a matter of supreme
indifference to most so it is carried out in a fairly ad hoc manner.
At the time of the debate a number of suggestions were made. An election for a
powerless figurehead is clearly a ridiculous expense although it might give the
position some stature. Unfortunately it would guarantee that a 'politician'
would be appointed as it would be contested.
There was a much more sensible suggestion that the head of state be selected by
a 2/3rds majority of the parliament. This was decried at the time by some loud
idiots who described it as a 'politician's president' and they demanded an
electoral process. However, the 2/3rds rule would ensure that only a worthy
candidate, acceptable to both sides, would succeed. A government could not put
up a superannuated politician and get him/her elected.
The reason it failed was because it was John Howard who got to write the
referendum questions - and he was a keen monarchist. Consequently he muddied
the waters with convoluted questions (remember the 'Preamble') and divided the
republican movement. It's a nightmare getting a constitutional  referendum up
at the best of - it'll fail unless both sides in parliament are in general
agreement.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx