Re: [OM] IMG: Rhody After the Storm

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Rhody After the Storm
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 16:24:16 -0700
On 4/29/2011 8:33 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> I don't normally look at histograms of photos other than my own.
> However, this image struck me as looking not quite smooth and I didn't
> understand why.  That's when I looked at the histogram and saw what I
> considered to be lots of 8-bit luminance bending due to the spikes in
> the shadows and holes in the bright bits.

Perhaps it's a matter of degree. Here are three histograms from the Rhody
image.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Tech/Misc&image=RhodyHist.jpg>

Top is as it came off the web. Most of us interpreted it as pretty smooth
overall, with some signs of extensive
manipulation. I assume (Yes, risky.) that you are referring to the smallish
spikey protrusions in the middle and spiky
troughs up higher?

Middle is a simple manipulation with Levels in 8 bit. This is what I think of
from your description "spikes in the
shadows and holes in the bright bits."

I suppose the bottom is closer to what you would call smooth, and likely not
altered in 8-bit?

Moose