Re: [OM] IMG: Rhody After the Storm

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Rhody After the Storm
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 08:33:59 -0500
> Well, since no one agrees with me I can only conclude that I'm the one
> who doesn't know how to interpret the histogram.

Why the need to look at histograms of photos? Can't you just enjoy the
photo like the rest of us? Or was there something specific in the
image that caught your attention and you used the histogram to debug
it?

I thought that the picture was actually quite decent. Yes, the
histogram does show the artifacts of bit-bending as it was done in
8-bit mode. The highlights? Even though Moose dragged out more detail
in the highlights, I think that the image loses it's message when
doing so. There are times when pushing the outer-limits (yet without
clipping) of the exposure range is a good thing. When too much
recovery is done, it takes on the HDR look which isn't how life really
is. The flower was in sunlight and with white petals. Sometimes we
have to accept the fact that nature does give us awesome subjects to
photograph. We don't always have to play God.

AG