Re: [OM] I think that I might have hit on a "Fang" this morning

Subject: Re: [OM] I think that I might have hit on a "Fang" this morning
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:09:05 +1000
It's ethically sound. In a flea market situation, it's incumbent upon the
seller to know about what he's selling. There is a vendor's responsibility
here. If I actively lie to the seller - "Hey, mate, this isn't working" - when
I know that it is, then I have acted unethically. But if neither of us know and
I take a chance, no problem. I have a frend who was once a camera repairman,
though he doesn't touch modern stuff. He often buys old cameras and lenses that
are non-functioning in the expectation that he can fix them - he's right about
50% of the time.

Best fang I ever heard of - another collector friend went to see an 'old Nikon
camera' advertised in the local 'Trading Post' classified ad. paper. He bought
it for $200 as I recall. The seller was delighted. So was my friend. It was a
Nikon One. He sold it to someone in Japan for over $25K - the buyer flew his
secretary out to Australia to collect it. Did he do wrong?
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx