Re: [OM] E-PL2 or E-P2 was Re: New camera

Subject: Re: [OM] E-PL2 or E-P2 was Re: New camera
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 17:31:20 -0500
> E-p2 has only metal shell and 2nd dial going for it. Not much, really, it's
> reeking of soon to come EOL. In any cas, E-pl2 will retain longer a better
> resale value should you decide on an hypothetical e-p3 soon.

I got the opportunity to spend a little time with the E-PL2 a few days
ago. I'm actually pretty impressed with it. However, the control
layout is still pretty horrid and the menus are only getting worse. As
a professional photographer I need my important controls (ISO, Focus
Mode, Aperture, Shutterspeed, Exposure-Compensation, Manual Focus,
Custom Resets) to be instantly available. Unfortunately, they are not.
In that aspect, the camera fights you and is extremely frustrating.
However, if all I did was use Program Mode, the camera is among the
best ever.

The image-quality is really good, and easily the match to whatever the
E-5 can muster. As a point-and-shoot style, general-purpose camera,
the camera is fantastic. But when you need the camera to conform to
the adaptive needs of a professional photographer, it isn't. Worse of
all, the button layout does not fall to hand in an intuitive manner.
Whereas the E-P1/P2 has the shutter-release properly located, the
E-PL2 just doesn't seem to fall to hand quite right. The button isn't
where my finger wants to land. As a professional photographer, I'd
rather have the E-P2, in spite of other concerns, over the E-PL2. But
as a photographer, I'd rather have the E-PL2.

Does that make sense?

OK, let me put it this way: I'd buy a used E-P2 kit over a used E-PL2
kit, but I'd buy a new E-PL2 kit over a new E-P2 kit. Three years from
now, the E-P2 will be a more desirable camera because of the
intangibles.

ken
www.zone-10.com