[OM] De-Blurring [was IMGs, Pt. Reyes, weather (and especially for Micha

Subject: [OM] De-Blurring [was IMGs, Pt. Reyes, weather (and especially for Michael Collins) [was Critters met on today's outing.]]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 20:18:06 -0800
On 2/23/2011 11:13 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> You did indeed, Moose.  The result is excellent.

Thanks Chris!

On 2/23/2011 4:05 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Great job PP--what a transformation!  One can see the real plane of focus
> and where it was manuplulated if the image is scrutinized, but not viewing
> normally for enjoyment.

And thanks to you too, Mike!

It was an interesting project, and I learned a lot. If I ever try it again from
scratch, I think I could do just a bit
better. I do like the digital darkroom. Back in film days, that shot was just
wasted.

> I see FM mentioned (fondly) even on the DXO forum where I posted a couple
> questions.

I've only compared blur reduction  in DXO vs. FM once, and DXO lost, although
not by much. As you say, the fact hat the
5D doesn't put focal distance in the EXIF may hamper DXO. Then again, FM
doesn't know either.

And FM has a separate setting for motion blur, which has been a big help for me
several times. The coyote in this
gallery had motion blur that FM helped a lot.

>> Yes Photoshop's SMART SHARPEN is based on deconvolution (but you will need
>> to choose the "More Accurate" option and the Lens Blur>>kernel for best
>> results). Same with Camera Raw 6 and Lightroom 3 if you ramp up the Detail
>> slider."
>>
>> see for more details:
>> http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=45038
Waaaay too many details. My head hurts after less than 2 or 12 pages. :-)   I'm
starting to think that, as in many other
areas, the better tools are relatively similar in effectiveness.

I tried Smart Sharpen when it came out, messing with all the settings, and
wasn't all that wowed compared to Fred
Miranda's Intellisharpen II. But then I was simply sharpening, not de-blurring
in the way we are talking about. Maybe
it's time for some experimentation.

Re-Convoluted Moose