Re: [OM] IMGs, Pt. Reyes, weather (and especially for Michael Collins) [

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs, Pt. Reyes, weather (and especially for Michael Collins) [was Critters met on today's outing.]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 15:03:40 -0800
On 2/7/2011 5:36 AM, Jez Cunningham wrote:
> Well we got some sunshine here today for the first time in several days -
> I'm jealous. Nice tour, especially towards the end.

Thanks! It gets later, and the light gets better.

> BTW, what is your file/photo naming convention, like MG 2601FMcria80m ?  And
> why?

Why is so that I know what I've done in processing. Saving every adjustment
layer is prohibitively profligate with HD
space, but I often find it useful to have a record of what I did. I suppose I
could store comments, but I don't, perhaps
'cause it would slow up the work flow.

Ten years from now, I'll probably have no idea what some of the cryptic stuff
meant. But I'll be using a 2GB camera on
PSCX 113, with all sorts of new tools, and it won't much matter. I find when I
look at older images, I often reprocess
them, with mostly better results, as some combination of newer tools and
accumulated experience is applied.

But I always start fresh, keeping the old one until it has been clearly
surpassed - 'cause you never know. ;-)
As to this image:

_MG_2601 = 12,601st. image from the 5D
FM = Focus Magic
cr = cropped (beyond that made necessary by corrections)
ia = one of two standardized sharpening settings I have in Actions that create
a new layer and sharpen it.
80 = The Opacity of the (primary part) of the sharpened layer. So 80% of std.
sharpening 'ia' was applied.
m = I masked the sharpening, maybe even mixed different amounts in different
areas.

Other codes are things like:
ptl = PTLens
rot = rotated
cor = more substantial corrections, to perspective, etc.
fp = full pixel/100%
iiam = I mixed the two different std sharpenings.
acr = Lens corrections applied by ACR, rather than PTL.

idkor = I don't know/remember off the top of my head what others I may use or
have used.  :-)

Fully Coded Moose