Re: [OM] IMGs, Pt. Reyes, weather (and especially for Michael Collins) [

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs, Pt. Reyes, weather (and especially for Michael Collins) [was Critters met on today's outing.]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 21:54:59 -0800
On 2/5/2011 11:15 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
> Thanks, Moose.  I enjoyed the tour, but the shots of the beach and breakers,
> such as 2524, are rather atmospheric.  I used to live in hot countries, near
> the sea (Bahrain, Mukalla and Aden come to mind) and it reminds me of a happy
> childhood.
>
> As is sometimes the case when I look at your images I still think that some
> are a tiny bit over-sharpened:

No, I don't think it has to do with the camera, as you speculated below. As
I've noted before, I have 20/20 vision in my
left eye and 20/10 in the right. That means I simply see the world a bit
differently than the vast majority of people.
When I'm out in nature and occasionally cover my right eye, I'm amazed at the
soft edged view most folks have.

So when I'm sharpening images, and trying to create something like what I saw,
I tend to over sharpen. I know that at
the resolution of web images, there just aren't enough pixels to get the effect
I want. But some sharpening is mostly
needed at presentation size, and it's easy for me to overdo it. I try to
remember to back off a bit after doing it to my
taste. :-)

> the lovely stump in 2545

Ah, now that is a special case. I took just the one shot, without paying much
attention when Carol pointed it out as we
walked by. AS it turns out, f8 @ 200 mm just didn't give much DOF. So while the
flora are in focus, the front of the
stump is quite fuzzy, which I didn't like. As I had recently acquired Focus
Magic, I made a little project out of
rescuing the image, using FM, LCE and various degrees of sharpening.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Misc/_MG_2545.htm>

As you can see, I was able to take the seriously OOF face of the stump and make
it appear pretty nicely in focus

> , perhaps, and the heather-covered moors.  But it occurs to me now that that
> could be the way your camera produces images and to which I am not
> accustomed.  I can see that the coyote and deer were difficult to capture
> except with a long lens

Oh yeah! The coyote image is cropped to maybe 30%. 1/60 @ 300 mm, even with IS,
is iffy. Even if the IS were perfect,
the coyote wasn't standing completely still for me. It only stopped walking to
look over at me for a moment. If I'd been
a videographer, I might have some great footage of that deer bounding along,
several feet in the air on each bound;
quite remarkable. As it is, I caught it when it stopped.

> Finally, the birds on the wires are excellent,

There are two of those in the gallery because I prefer one and Carol the other.
:-)   On the second one, I waited for
some time for the larger number of birds rioting in the brush below to fill the
wire up more - but they declined.

> but my absolute favourite is 2613, the avenue of trees and house at sunset.

The vote is clear, that's the winner, and I almost didn't take it. :-)

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Moose