Re: [OM] IMGs, Pt. Reyes, weather (and especially for Michael Collins)

Subject: Re: [OM] IMGs, Pt. Reyes, weather (and especially for Michael Collins)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 22:27:14 -0800
On 2/22/2011 5:41 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Moose writes:
>> I had only brought along my light tripod, and the setup failed my on longer
>> exposures. As a proximate result of this subject and, some long simmering
>> dissatisfactions with the capabilities and ergonomics of my tripods, yet
>> another one is on its way here.
> Ah,
> Glad there was more discussion of your nice gallery.  You posted it on a day
> I was swamped and didn't get  a chance to savor it until this weekend and the
> extra discussion reminded me to do so.

Glad you enjoyed it!

> I see your macro shots seem to be taken at the 200ish end of your Tammy zoom
> and the Tammy 90 macro didn't get much excercise on that outing.  Works well
> enough.

I was trying out a new, lighter, simpler kit. I've noticed that I often lug
around the Lowepro Inverse 200 AW with
17-35, 90/2.8 macro, 50/1.8 and various accessories for hours - and only use
the two zooms. While I was back in your
part of the country, where this scenario played out quite a lot, I did some
searching on small bags. It's very hard to
tell just what will fit in bags based on published info. But B&H was selling
the smallest Domke bag in blue for $14.89,
with free shipping, and it looked like it might do what I wanted, so I bought
one.
<https://secure.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=Domke+F-903+SHOULDER+BAG+SMALL+%28NAVY%29+-+DOF903SN&N=0&InitialSearch=yes>

It's a very nice little bag, with both zipper and Velcro closure, so it can be
super secure or really quick access,
handle, belt loop and Domke shoulder strap with non-slip grip and pockets to
hold cards, spare battery, etc.

On this day trip I was trying out working with just the 28-300 and 17-35, one
the camera and other in the little bag. It
worked rather well. The bag hanging across my shoulder is so light I don't
notice it - MUCH more comfortable that the
big bag. If it were just maybe half an inch or less longer, the 28-300 would
drop right in with hood on.

As it is, I have to reverse the hood to fit it in securely. I may excise the
padding on one end, to allow quick changes
of lenses with minimum fuss. the padding isn't really necessary on the hood
end, anyway. Assuming it's some sort of
foam, I can save it against future need.

> If you get a chance wonder what problems came up with your current Velbon
> travel pod and what/why you chose to replace it.

That story will have to wait at least until tomorrow, when the new toy is due.
:-)
> ....  The Velbon maxi isn't so great for macro but at least I can  secure it
> to the Minitrekker.

Does that have the PH-31Q head? If so, how do you like it? Does the one handle
control tension/locking for both pan and
tilt, or is there a separate knob for pan?

  Now that I have cameras with video, I'm thinking of something small and light
that can pan at least somewhat smoothly.
Also, it takes the same QR plates I already use.

> Curious  as to what has been long simmering, Mike

All in good time. ;-)

Moose