Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 5/2/2011: fishmonger

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 5/2/2011: fishmonger
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 22:37:52 -0800
On 2/5/2011 11:59 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> A leg of lamb? Yum!
>
> The only problem I have with photographing someone like this is that they
> might object on grounds of privacy: that is, they might think that I am a
> representative of the local council or food safety team.  I was photographing
> a converted church not far from my house when the vegetable seller opposite
> came out and asked me why I was photographing her vegetables; she was really
> quite annoyed . . .

Charm, Chris, disarming charm. :-)   "Well, I was just taking pictures of this
old church, and couldn't help but notice
how nice they are. I thought I'd like to take pics of how pretty they are home
to show the wife." Or some such flannel.
Even better if they really are nice. You can then ask about one or another sort
and ask if you might take a picture of
that lovely _____.

Doesn't always work, of course. :-)   There was this wonderfully cute and
photogenic group of children while we were
waiting for our marsh tour.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2010/Massachusetts/Newburyport&image=_MG_2098cria60.jpg>

Then one of the minders caught site of me - to her horror.
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/MooseFoto/index.php?gallery=Travel/NorthEast_2010/Massachusetts/Newburyport&image=_MG_2100cria60.jpg>

She started after me like a rabid dog. No, I didn't see any foam at the mouth,
but wouldn't have been surprised. I knew
the opportunity was past, as the kids wouldn't be so unselfconscious again. She
was screaming, asking me if I didn't
know that taking pictures of children is illegal in Mass. I allowed as how I
had stopped, but that it was legal. She
screamed her disagreement, then went back to hustle her charges away from the
terrible danger.

BTW, I think the guy on the left of the first image looks much more potentially
dangerous to children than I do. You
just never know. I was obviously taking pics of some kids climbing a big rock
in a park a while ago. I went up to one of
the mom's and asked if she and the other mom would like copies, She said naw,
their husbands took too many pics already.
I got some great shots, especially of the really little kid following the older
ones part way.

It turns out there IS a law in Mass against taking pictures of scantily clothed
or unclothed minors for prurient
purposes. It's original form turned out to be too broad to be constitutional.
Neither version even remotely applies to
this situation.

Moose