Re: [OM] Question: Olympus vs. Generic lenses, fixed FL vs zooms?

Subject: Re: [OM] Question: Olympus vs. Generic lenses, fixed FL vs zooms?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 08:18:40 -0500
Whether Soligor made lenses (vs. Vivitar who didn't) depends on the time
period in question.  From 1956 to 1968 Soligor lenses were imported from
Japan just as Vivitar did.  In 1968 Allied Impex formed its own
manufacturing company in Germany but this company was not named
"Soligor" until 1993.  It's unclear if they ever made lenses branded
Soligor.  To quote from Camerapedia: <http://camerapedia.org/wiki/Soligor>

"Allied Impex Corporation[1] was an American distributor. From 1956, it
used the brand name Soligor for cameras and lenses imported from
Japan.[2] It imported the Miranda cameras and took control of the
Miranda company at some time in the 1960s.[3]

The company founded a German sub-company called A.I.C. Phototechnik GmbH
in 1968, that became Soligor GmbH in 1993.[4] This German company is the
only one still active today (2009).[5] It is known for its rich product
range of camera accessories."

In researching this on the web I came across an interesting history of
the demise of Allied Impex and Miranda from a guy who worked for both
Allied Impex and then left to work for Vivitar when it became clear that
AIC was a sinking ship.  I had to use the way back machine to find it.
I think most of you will find this an interesting read.
<http://web.archive.org/web/20091027114434/http://geocities.com/bill14210/demise/demise.html>

Chuck Norcutt