Re: [OM] (OM) OT Internet connection speed

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Internet connection speed
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 10:23:58 -0500
About DSL.  After attending a meeting of the computer club here in our
RV park I was approached by a woman for help with her DSL connection.
She had brought her laptop computer and a Cat5 cable from her home up
north where she has cable internet service.  Her complaint was that she
couldn't plug her cable into the wall.

Upon investigation I discovered that, even though she had been paying
Verizon for DSL service for 2 months, Verizon had obviously not been
around to do anything or give her anything.  She had never seen a
Verizon rep, had nothing but an ordinary telephone jack in the wall.  No
DSL filter, no DSL modem, no nothing.  She had been very patient and
blamed her computer illiteracy for not being able to get on the
internet.  She was furious with Verizon by the time I left.

Whilst I was checking her situation her neighbor from across the street
stopped by, saw that I could spell computer and also asked for help.  On
investigation there I discovered that she did have a working DSL
connection with her computer plugged directly into the DSL modem.  But I
also noticed that her router didn't seem to be properly connected.  On
further investigation I discovered an ordinary telephone plug loosely
installed but certainly not plugged in the Cat5 connector on the router.
  Following the phone wire I discovered that the plug on the other end
was simply laying on the floor.  It took some talking to convince her
that her router wasn't working properly since her single computer was
working OK.

There must be many thousands like these two.

Chuck Norcutt