Re: [OM] (OM) OT Internet connection speed

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Internet connection speed
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 09:00:21 -0600
I agree with Chuck. However, it is possible to now get broadband up to
about 100mpbs. And amazingly enough, we can actually do that over
copper. (short distances).

The 54mbps connection was strictly the wireless network. Internet
connection was limited to what the DSL purchase speed is.

Now, to your specific speed issues at the house. I would make sure
that your computer with the dial-up modem is connected to the phone
line through the DSL filter. That MUST be on the wire that is plugged
into your computer.

As to speed differentials, that has a lot to do with line-pairing
technologies. We use "carrier systems" which take many phone lines and
deliver them to an area over just a couple of pairs. Unfortunately,
some of the earlier systems placed limits of around 33 kbps on the
ciruit.

It is impossible to predict where you might be on a carrier system or
a DLC (digital loop carrier) based on distance from the primary phone
building. Our networks are a spiderweb with lots of twists and turns
that follow old growth patterns of the city. It is not unusual for you
to be literally next door to the central office, but be one or two
cable miles away from it. Yet, on the flip side, you can be miles from
the central office, but be within 500 cable feet from it.

AG