Re: [OM] Film scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanner
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2011 08:09:36 -0500
I'm not sure about SCSI cards but it is possible to drive a SCSI device
from Win 7 using an Adaptec USB to SCSI converter (USBXchange or
USB2Xchange) if you can find one (they're discontinued but still supported)

On the Acer Scanwit 2720s/2740 email list on Yahoo a correspondent there
described his setup just yesterday
I'm running it on Windows XP Pro 32bit on one machine and Windows 7
Ultimate 64bit via Windows XP Mode.  The drivers will not install on
Windows 7 64bit even in test mode but I belive I can get them to force
install with Windows 7 Pro 32bit. I check Windows 7 32bit tonight.

I use the adaptec usb2xadapter. You first have to install it drivers and
it should show up in windows device manager. The the scanner shows up as
an unknown device 2740 with a question mark.

I then point it the vuescans scanners.inf within the viewscan directory
and the device shows up in scanners and cameras and vuescan can happily
use it.

I prefer using vuescan as I now have great result after calibrating it
with an IT8 target.

Here's are links to Adaptec's pages
<http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/_eol/usb_scsi/usb2xchange/>
<http://www.adaptec.com/en-us/support/_eol/usb_scsi/usbxchange/>

Note that both devices have a 50 pin connector and thus may require a
50-25 pin adapter.  The 50-25 pin adapter was included with the original
USB 1 but not with the USB 2 adapter.

One will have to search probably a long time to find one and pay from
$60-120 when you do (and probably not including the 50-25 adapter)

There are other USB/SCSI adapters from companies other than Adaptec but
I have no info on how they work or driver availability.

Chuck Norcutt