Re: [OM] Film scanner

Subject: Re: [OM] Film scanner
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 13:53:38 -0800
On 1/8/2011 12:40 PM, John Hudson wrote:
> I have a Canon FS 2710 film scanner, also looking for a new home or perhaps
> the junk heap.
>
> It ran on Windows 98 and beyond that OS the machine is functionless. Is the
> FS2720 a post Win98 machine?

My mistake. As I have before, I confused resolution, 2720, with model number,
FS2710.  The good news is that you are
wrong about it not operating beyond W98. Below, I quote myself from 2002 in
some detail about how the 2710 worked for me
under XP.

Since then, Ed Hamrick has created a generic driver that skips all the ASPI
fuss for old SCSI scanners. I don't believe
I ever used it with FS2710 and XP, on the 'if it ain't broke' principle. I do
believe I used it with the FS4000 and XP
and I am currently using it with FS4000 and Vista.

I wouldn't be surprised if the FS2710 could be used under at least 32 bit Vista
and W7, using ASPI or the Hamrick driver.

Moose
Canon FS2710 and Winoze XP:

I believe someone posted before that the Canoscan FS2710 can't be used under
XP. THAT IS NOT TRUE!! The solution I found
may be of interest beyond just my specific problem as it would seem to apply
generally for SCSI under Win2000 & XP.

Canon USA says it is not supported under XP and the latest version of their
scanning software, 3.6.2 isn't XP ready.
Canon Europe has a version of the CanoCraft software (3.6.6) available for
download that expressly supports XP.

XP has a driver for the Adaptec AIC-7850 PCI SCSI card that Canon supplied,
but, as the Canon manual says for earlier
versions of Windoz, it doesn't work. The new version of Canoscan runs, but
can't find the card/scanner. All kinds of
searching didn't find an XP driver for the  card and the old drivers don't work.

I don't use the Canon software anyway, so I tried Vuescan. It also couldn't
find the SCSI card, but said "If you're
using Windows 2000 or Windows XP and a SCSI scanner and if VueScan doesn't find
your SCSI scanner, you may need to
download and install ASPI" The
Hamrick.com site has 2 different links to Adaptec sites (Neither of which I
found directly on the Adaptec support site.)
for downloading ASPI (different file names at each location). One wasn't
working at that moment, although it seems to
now. I used
http://download.adaptec.com/software_pc/aspi/aspi_v472a2.exe
One of the docs explains "The Advanced SCSI Programming Interface (ASPI) for
Win32 was designed to increase
compatibility and simplify the connection of SCSI peripheral devices like tape,
CD-ROM, WORM, magneto-optical, scanners,
and other devices. It defines a protocol for SCSI applications (called ASPI
modules) to submit I/O requests to a single
operating system driver (called the ASPI manager). Access to the
operating system driver is made through a Dynamic Link Library named
WNASPI32.DLL." So it's like a layer that mediates
between Win2000/XP and SCSI devices.

In any case, it works! Both CanoCraft and Vuescan can now scan sucessfully. One
more XP compatability solved!