[OM] Gasp! (OT)

Subject: [OM] Gasp! (OT)
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 03:59:43 +1300
Andrew wrote

> You know what it's like - you watch the cop dramas on TV and you suspend
> disbelief. You know that real cops aren't ruggedly handsome men or
> Angelina Jolie lookalikes and you accept that and enjoy the show - and
> then you see something like this -
> http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/officers-actions-were-justified-20101222
> -195o2.html Certainly made me stop and forget to think for a moment.
> Perfect.

Here in New Zealand we call it "Suicide by Police". Once or twice a year
somebody decides they've had enough of life and chooses this way out.

And there are enough armed police around to make it happen.
(Our police are not all routinely armed with firearms "yet").

I usually wonder why, in situations such as this, they don't routinely deploy
something such as tear-gas, pepper spray, and tazers (now available freely
here), to remotely calm and control such young guys without killing them.

And when they fire a rifle/pistol, they seem to aim for the chest rather than a
leg etc which could give a disabling non-lethal wound..

Brian Swale.