Re: [OM] So here's the deal...

Subject: Re: [OM] So here's the deal...
From: WayneS <olympus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 00:04:58 -0500
{skip from here >}

I have used all versions of the 50mm. The 50/2 was a fun, smooth operating,
reliable lens. I had two (high numbered) 50/1.4's fail on me - aperture
sticking.

As a rule, I like faster lenses (that aren't too big) and macros that can work
at OO. I never had much luck with the 80 or135 on the 65-116 extension. It was
just too much to fiddle with most of the time. Most of my macro is shot in the
woods or shade and dim viewfinders is an esthetic thing I eschew.
Comparitively, I did better macros with C5060 on mini-tripod.

The 90/2, produced a lot of great shots for me, but long exposures lost
contrast. I think there was variation in the production versions, and all the
rubber shades can be problematic.

For this winter outing, I'm guessing the close focus of most zuikos will
suffice.

{> to here}

I still like the OM-4t, even in the cold. With the Sekonic, the OM-3t is good,
and I'm sure the finish could use some camera bag polishing.

There will be early and long sunsets this time of year, and terrific light for
all scenes.
My choices would be

OM-4t (om3t backup) - MD seems like extra weight but does balance the 35-80
24/2.8 (+shade)
35-80/2.8 (+shade)
tele (my pick would be the smaller 200/4)
L-508
medium tripod (not sure what that is for you)
Fuji Velvia 100
Extra AA's
favorite outdoor photo gloves.

Wayne