Re: [OM] So here's the deal...

Subject: Re: [OM] So here's the deal...
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 09:43:04 -0800
> From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> On 12/15/2010 5:31 AM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
>> But the reason for an f/2 macro lens is not for you to shoot at f/2.  It's
>> so you can still focus at an effective f/3 instead of f/5.3 when you're at
>> half life-size.  That said, I only have the f/3.5 version. f/2 is too
>> expensive.  :-)
>
> I've never had a problem focusing with the 50/3.5. Ergo no need for the
> expense of the f2.
>
> One of my first posts on this list was about sharpness comparison of
> performance of some lenses based on Gary's tests.
> It resulted in off list correspondence with Gary. My conclusion was that used
> at optimum apertures, the difference
> between 50/3.5 and 50/2 was likely insignificant.

Having had both, I must say I way prefer the f2 macro. Without having performed
specific tests, it juts seems more "snappy," and I like the nearly two stops of
extra light.

But I do think it is important to make the best of what you have, and if I
hadn't had both of them, I'd be saying how happy I was with the 3.5. :-)