Re: [OM] So here's the deal...

Subject: Re: [OM] So here's the deal...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 14:49:08 -0500
I've never actually read anything on that subject that I can recall but
I strongly suspect that DOF is increased to the effective rather than
marked aperture.  I based that statement on the geometrical nature of
DOF which is based on the angle of convergence to the focus point and
the diameter of the light beam as it crosses the image plane.  If the
diameter of the beam at that point is less than or equal to the CoC the
point is in focus.  With an extended image distance I assumed that the
angles of light beams would be smaller and DOF enhanced (at least over
the marked aperture)

But then I went to Wiki looking for some support for my supposition and
see that it's far more complicated than I thought. For macro work it
says that DOF is better thought of in terms of magnification and focal
ratio which then makes DOF (almost) independent of focal length.  I'll
have to study up on that.  There's too much math there for my feeble
mind to tackle right now.  :-)

 From checking the Oly bellows manual yesterday I recall that it gives
DOF for the macro lenses at various magnifications.  Since they do give
their assumed CoC it would be interesting to compare the numbers in the
bellows table with those from a conventional DoF calculator and see how
much difference there is.

Chuck Norcutt