Re: [OM] Gmail users, what do you say about this?

Subject: Re: [OM] Gmail users, what do you say about this?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 16:28:09 -0800

On 12/13/2010 2:23 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> That I use Google but not gmail (Mac OSX Mail works well, if I can say that
> without starting another dreary platform argument).

Andrew, you've fallen into the same technical trap Ian referred to. OS X Mail
is a local client, like the various
Outlooks, Thunderbird, etc. It does not do the actual email function itself,
but gathers in and sends out email on an
individual computer, via an email ISP(s), such as Google, Yahoo, AOL,
people.net, and myriad telephone and cable ISPs

In my case, Thunderbird  automatically polls Yahoo, Gmail and email accounts on
my web space provider, downloads the
mail to my computer, deletes the incoming mail from the servers and uses them
to send outgoing mail. OS X Mail works in
the same way.

So, whoever acts as the mail back end for it still has access to the email that
goes through it. Even though I almost
never actually look at the GMail web access page, any outgoing mail I send via
GMail will be filtered to tailor adverts
on that page.

As it is, I use my paid web space ISP for all outgoing mail, so GMail never
sees it. That's for technical reasons only,
though, as I agree with your premise that any idea of privacy in any such
communication is illusory.

Moose