Re: [OM] Gmail users, what do you say about this?

Subject: Re: [OM] Gmail users, what do you say about this?
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 10:59:12 +1100
Privacy is an illusion.
Yesterday I sat on a train and listened to two phone conversations - well heard
them. i didn't have a lot of choice. The two women involved were happy to
discuss quite personal family matters at length and detail in hearing of
perhaps twenty complete strangers. and yet, I'm sure that in other
circumstances, they would be protective of their privacy.
People are strange. They'll read photo magazines that invade the privacy of
others and yet assume that they they themselves can't be photographed in
public.
Privacy statements are there to maintain the illusion.
It doesn't exist. As in that old advice that you should regard every microphone
as open, you should assume that anyone can find out anything about you if they
try hard enough.
Such is life. Be prepared.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx