Re: [OM] E-5 vs GH2 sensor

Subject: Re: [OM] E-5 vs GH2 sensor
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:23:24 -0400
While I'm firmly in the Nykon camp, I can understand why anyone with good
legacy Zuiko glass would tend toward Canyon when contemplating leaving the
fold. And let's face it, Oly legacy, i.e., OM, is top of the line still, and
the good glass is very, very good, but in the digital pro world, Oly is an
also-ran has been. Unfair? Maybe. As AG says, even the antique E-1 will pull
the weight for much of what anyone would want to do, but then it's about more
than resolution, isn't it? The pixels are important, but so is a wealth of
other stuff that goes with the camera. And from where I sit, Oly digital just
isn't there.

For example. I had the E-1, and then the E-510. Some of you who are young
enough to have memories that still function might recall a photo I had up a
while back which Moose won a print of by giving it a name: White on White. It
has been a very popular print in a number of sizes, all the way up to an actual
image size of 15x20. The subject, a window in a summer home on the road to
Pemaquid Point, is one I return to each winter to have another go. Usually,
when you get it right you get it right and there's not much point in going back
time after time, but because this house is on my way to the point, I stop and
shoot. This past winter, using the D3, got a shot I liked better. It's in the
Limited Editions gallery of my web site. The original White on White is here:

http://www.bobwhitmire.com/page13/page14/page14.html

The revised version is here:

http://www.bobwhitmire.com/page1/page10/page10.html

I know it's very difficult to make a value judgment based on web images, but I
can assure you the D3 double-window takes the ribbon hands down over the E-1
version. It's sharper, deeper, more robust, with better color and a better
effect in every way.

Moose can weigh in on this if he chooses, because other than me, he's the only
member of the list who has seen both images in their final print form.

What I'm trying to say is that it's about more than just 4mp vs. 12mp. It's
also about color engines and processors and a host of other magic stuff that
goes on inside a modern digital camera. Nykon and Canyon will never lag behind
the curve. In fact, they're sometimes go too fast trying to stay ahead of it.
Sony is pushing hard, as are the various permutations sporting Leica badged
components and glass. I just haven't seen any evidence that Olympus is even
trying to keep up.

Like AG says, you dance with the one who brung you, but if the one who brung
you to the dance won't dance, then you got to move on.

--Bob Whitmire
www.bobwhitmire.com