Re: [OM] E-5 vs GH2 sensor

Subject: Re: [OM] E-5 vs GH2 sensor
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:01:13 -0500
> You need to give more looks at the D700!

Well, maybe the successor. I'm not going to go bail out this week. I'm
on a Ramen Noodle Budget these days--buying expensive toys is not an
option right now.

Everybody knows that Olympus has something really grand up their
sleeves and "any day now" they'll completely "wow" the industry with
their engineering prowess. In the meantime they do a reissue of the
E-3 with a woefully underspec'd sensor per the competition.

How much is enough? That is a valid question. But as has been proven
since the advent of digital photography, there is a sliding scale of
acceptability. Only a handful of years ago 6MP was considered king of
the road. Then 8MP was oh so wonderful and we could make 40x60" prints
with those Canon 20D cameras at ISO 1600. Wahoo.

Imagine if Olympus reissued the E-1 with a 6MP sensor. Better than the
original? I'm sure. But the competetion and expectations have moved
on. It would be extremely stupid to bring out a 6MP professional
camera today (even though it would be perfectly adequate for 95% of
what we professionals do). Why is 6MP evil, but 12MP ok when the
competition is averaging 18MP? They're literally 50% off the mark. If
we were at a shooting range, the safest place to stand when Olympus is
up to the line is right in front of the target.

Nikon, with the D700 and D3 have marketed themselves as being the
cameras to have for extreme low-light photography. Add to that the
fact that their pixels are inordinately sharp. What you have are
cameras that box way above their weight, but manage to still win. But
let's imagine that the successors to these two cameras kept the same
pixel-count with very little gain in any other area. Basically, they
just reissue the same camera with a new badge? The howls of protest
would be loud and clear. In fact, the Nikonians are mighty peaved that
Nikon still hasn't issued the D700x with the D3X sensor. The Nikon
world isn't without its own issues. Also, consider that Nikon had the
D2H which remains a camera of pure genius, but 4MP??????

If the honerable thing to do is dance with the one who brung you, what
are you to do when your date decides to just sit on a chair instead of
dancing?

AG