Re: [OM] No hitting below the belt! [was Oh My Heart!]

Subject: Re: [OM] No hitting below the belt! [was Oh My Heart!]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:10:24 -0700
On 6/28/2010 12:32 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Considering the fact that a recent Nobel was given to somebody for doing
> absolutely nothing,

Cooool! Why wasn't I considered? I didn't do nothing publicly enough?

> I'm not sure the glitter of such an award has as much weight as it once did.

Perhaps not, although those looking for one might not agree, but it was
certainly a big deal then. There's not insignificant money involved,
too. I could have a 5DII and a new vehicle to carry it. :-)

> It isn't often that Moose launches out against somebody other than me AND we
> happen to agree on something.  I'll put a very slight spin on the topic,
> however...

First tropical storm of the season?

> In my experience I've encountered degreed people that studied to pass tests,
> not to actually "learn". I'd rather deal with somebody who had horrid scores
> but actually knew the subject than somebody who aced the classes but doesn't
> know squat. I used to train people in computer systems and accounting, and my
> worst students had Master degrees who took copious notes but didn't have a
> clue how to apply what they were writing down.

I quite agree (gasp). I didn't raise this additional point, as I had
said enough for that moment - and to give you an opportunity. :-)   I
too found little correlation between credentials and grades, on one
hand, and ability to do anything non-academic competently. I found this
to be true both above and below me on the corporate ladder.

> The thesis is a means of proving the leaning.

Well, of course, we don't want to be giving advanced degrees to those
with the wrong bias. (Yes, I'm playing on the typo. Yes, it's sometimes
true as well.)

> But the problem then comes down to who is reviewing the thesis. If the
> committee is made up of individuals with the "form, not function" mentality,
> then I would agree with John that you essentially have a degree mill. But if
> the reviewers (probably more common in the physics, bio-med and
> electrical-engineering fields) are looking more at the content than the form,
> then you are more likely to get a better class of degreed individual.

Sounds like an engineer talking. I think it depends on the field. There
are those where form is of primary importance, and oddly enough, they
give degreed in them too. ;-)

> My opinion only--as a college dropout who made it OK as an engineer learning
> on-the-job. YMMV.

I couldn't afford to drop out - the draft was waiting.

Moose