Re: [OM] No hitting below the belt! [was Oh My Heart!]

Subject: Re: [OM] No hitting below the belt! [was Oh My Heart!]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 09:44:38 -0500
Moose wrote:
> I quite agree (gasp).

Let's not get into the habit of agreeing too much.  Our fans would be
disappointed.

> Sounds like an engineer talking. I think it depends on the field. There
> are those where form is of primary importance, and oddly enough, they
> give degreed in them too. ;-)

Yes, I am coming at it from the perspective of the applied sciences.
There are some things I fail to understand--for example, a doctorate
in English. I do believe we have at least one of those on this list so
I'm trying not to be offensive about this, but I'm not quite sure I
understand the purpose of this kind of degree, other than being able
to win at Scrabble.

But seriously, I fail to understand the purpose of it because my mind
isn't wired to understand it. My mental programming allows me to see
shapes and lines in my mind, not words, dates, numbers...  I do well
on IQ tests because I ace the shapes and logic portions and most
everything else is in multiple choice. Short or Long Form answers?
You'd think my knuckles are dragging on the ground. If I was as smart
as the IQ test says I am, then why am I unable to get the rubber boot
back on the wire harness in the door of my Jeep?

> I couldn't afford to drop out - the draft was waiting.

Psst!  It's safe now.  You can quit school as the draft has been abolished.

AG