Re: [OM] (OT) Down the rabbit hold

Subject: Re: [OM] (OT) Down the rabbit hold
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:35:16 -0400
  Thanks for posting the links Chuck, those are great food for thought (pun
intended). I've always felt there is a lot of shenanigans in the drug trial
business and far too much drug company money chasing doctors (alas I'm not
one of them). And don't get me started on TV ads for prescription drugs that
drive sales for dubious new products. Big Pharma is famous for making a
slight chemical change to a drug whose patent is about to expire, claim
wondrous new benefits (usually marginal at best) on TV ads and then patients
demand them and hop from Doc to Doc to get them.
  This cholesterol business has been getting personal of late. Mine has been
creeping up the last ten years and my internist had been leaning on me to
begin a statin. My total is about 250 mg/dl with an LDL of 185 and HDL of
45. Triglycerides are normal. I'll be 56 this year and since I started
parenting late my youngest is 11 years. I decided to not play doctor on
myself and take her advice and began Simvistatin 20mg. Everything went fine
for three weeks when out of the blue, as if someone had flipped a switch, I
became completely impotent. WTF! I've never had this problem. Turns out to
be an uncommon but well described side effect. I stopped the statin and all
returned to normal within a few weeks. My physician wants me to wait a month
and try a different statin but I think not. In my gut I no longer trust that
class of drug.
   Time to re-think. My mother lived to 82 and died with no heart disease;
my Dad is a healthy 82 with no heart disease. His cholesterol is about the
same as mine and was pressured by his doctor to go on a statin as well. He
told him to take a hike. As for me I weigh 150 lbs, never smoked, exercise
regularly and eat a well balanced diet with lots of fruit, vegies and nuts
(love 'em). I have a normal EKG, a very low C-reactive protein (measure of
systemic inflammation), low Lipoprotein A (<5 mg/dl) and a cardiac calcium
score of 0. Fuck it! I'm taking my chances with the high LDL. And if the guy
whose link you posted is right it may explain why I rarely get sick (haven't
missed a day of work in 30 years).

Charlie