Re: [OM] OT: THEY WOULD FRIEND EACH OTHER

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: THEY WOULD FRIEND EACH OTHER
From: Charles Geilfuss <charles.geilfuss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 15:43:01 -0400
  Nope, not I. If I get any phone induced tumors it will be on the left side
of me bum.
  The problem with all of this is that we are trying to detect what is
likely a very small increase in an event (cancer) that is fairly uncommon to
begin with. The incidence of all cancers together is about 500 cases per
year among 100,000 people. And that overall rate has been going down in the
US by about 0.8% per year since 1999. So to try and pick out say a
hypothetical 5% increase in the rate of brain gliomas (which accounts for
<1% of all cancers) is extremely difficult. Your study will have to contain
many thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people to derive data that is
in any way statistically significant. To complicate matters even further,
there is no longer any control group that doesn't use cell phones. And the
few left who don't are probably shooting film and getting exposed to all
sorts of toxic developers. ;^)
  As for male breast cancer, forget it. It is even more rare than brain
tumors.
  IMHO you are about a million times more likely to be killed by a car
driver on his cell phone than of contracting cancer from that cell phone.

Lecture over,
Charlie