[OM] Zooms at Dawn - the 50mm shootout - Teaser

Subject: [OM] Zooms at Dawn - the 50mm shootout - Teaser
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:41:54 -0400
Yes,
Eagle eyed Chuck did notice that he Canyon  100/2.8 macro is IF AND
lost a third of a stop MORE light  than the only standard
helicoid lens on the list.  Not sure how these fallacies get started
and perpetuated and even made it into print  (pg 74 JS first macro
book),  the equations with non symmetric lenses get quite hairy quite
quickly though.  Enjoyed your post summarizing JS's mix and match
TC/extension tube use to either maximize mag or working distance.  I am
glad I have 3 of JS's books--still fun to read and overall superb
despite one mistake it appears.  I first heard about these books on
this list.

So Moose with vorpal sword in hand and synaptic prowess has slayed two
fallacies in so many weeks. The easier to hand hold shorter FL macro
lens at same mag (my antenna always went up with that one) one (at
least not due to any difference in FL but perhaps lens weight only) and
now this.  Bravo.

Mike

It's interesting that the Canon 100/2.8 macro loses 1.3 stops instead
of
1 stop at 1:2.  There must be some internal inefficiency that is not
evidenced at 1:1.

John Shaw's explanation for the different working distances and amounts
of light lost in getting to 1:1 with different combinations of tubes
and
teleconverter was that the focal length was not constant.  50mm in one
case, 100mm in another and somewhere in between on yet another
combination.  And note that the Canon 100/2.8 macro does internal
focusing and its focal length grows shorter as magnification increases.

Chuck Norcutt