Re: [OM] Zooms at Dawn - the 50mm shootout - Teaser

Subject: Re: [OM] Zooms at Dawn - the 50mm shootout - Teaser
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:23:05 -0400
Well, the inverse square law isn't broken but in John Colishaw's
"Closeups in Nature" he gives examples using a 50mm lens, a 2X
teleconverter and various extension tubes applied alone or ahead of or
behind the converter that all result in a 1:1 image but have differing
working distances and differing degrees of light loss... ranging through
2, 3, 3-1/2 and 4 stops.  Sounds a bit strange at first until you
realize that the effective focal length is also changing which is why
the working distance is also changing.  Least light loss (2 stops) is by
simply adding 50mm of extension to the 50mm lens to get 1:1 and a 4"
(100mm) working distance.

Google has some of Shaw's book on line which can be gotten to by this
link.  Click the highlighted text (which doesn't really take you to the
right spot) and scroll down to and read pages 110-111 for details.
<http://books.google.com/books?id=RDy0zlRFFDsC&pg=PA7&lpg=PA7&dq=%22teleconverters+for+closeups%22&source=bl&ots=50DhqwJgnt&sig=DRRBGWuOhcZxxjVsTwYNF9SKh0Y&hl=en&ei=Pe3OS834IYrs9QSi3-GgDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22teleconverters%20for%20closeups%22&f=false>

The Vivitar MFTC varies its length by varying the extension between the
lens and TC lens.  When the MFTC is at 1:1 this is equivalent to Shaw's
third method of reaching 1:1 by adding 25mm of extension between the
50mm lens and the 2X converter.  This method increases working distance
to 6" but also costs 3 stops instead of 2. (1 to the extension, 2 to the
converter).  But it may be better than Shaw's second method which is to
add 100mm of extension behind the lens mounted directly to the
converter.  That yields a 100mm lens and 8" working distance but also
costs 4 stops and quite a long lens/tube configuration.

I think I'm gonna shoot inside today.  I've had enough of the wind.  :-)

Chuck Norcutt