Re: [OM] Zooms at Dawn - the 50mm shootout - Teaser

Subject: Re: [OM] Zooms at Dawn - the 50mm shootout - Teaser
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 08:43:41 -0500
I have John Shaw's "Closeups in Nature" and remember reading about this in
the book. At the time, I did experiment and confirmed his findings--which is
why I soon after got rid of the Vivitar. In a way that has been a mistake as
that teleconverter was actually one very fine bit of optic.

A much better way, for me, to get extremely close is to stack lenses. Taking
a 50 1.4 or 1.8 and reversing it on the front of another lens is a great way
to get magnification without light-loss. Shaw's book is extremely
informative on this subject.

My  typical macro photography is in the 1:2 to 1:4 range, and for that, my
favorite setup remains the Zuiko 100/2.8 with up to 50mm of extension.

AG