Re: [OM] Really OT .. Facebook

Subject: Re: [OM] Really OT .. Facebook
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 07:24:59 +0100
Before you guys completely drown in negativity about Facebook, let me tell some
nice things about it.

Thanks to Facebook, I can easily keep in touch with my son in the UK. I sign
on, see he is online and we start a chat. No need for a separate chat client
like MSN in the old days.

Thanks to Facebook, I have reconnected with classmates whom I have not seen for
30 years. We organized a reunion in Denmark last autumn, something which would
not have happened without this technology.

Our family is global, spread over 3 continents. Having something like Facebook
to share pictures and messages in a much less formal way than via e-mail is
simply wonderful.

The people with whom I am friends on FB range in age from 11 to 84. I am 49
myself.

A few simple tips to protect your privacy:

- do not use your real surname (you will not find me by searching on Wajsman)
- do not accept friend requests from people you do not know
- do not put in your physical address, telephone number etc.
- do not play any games or use any applications; just stick to the original
social networking function of the site.

By following these guidelines, I have avoided friend requests from people I do
not know, my spam volumes have not gone up after 2 years on Facebook--I am
getting all the benefits and no downside. How much time you spend on it is up
to you. In my case it is perhaps 15 minutes a day.

Nathan

Nathan Wajsman
Alicante, Spain
http://www.frozenlight.eu