[OM] Perspective on distortion [was Certainly a beaten subject already,

Subject: [OM] Perspective on distortion [was Certainly a beaten subject already, ]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 21:10:19 -0800
On 3/2/2010 2:03 PM, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Oh yes it does. I like to shoot close and with the 24-70mm on 5D2 towards the
> wide end.
> I like the effect - but an effect there most certainly is and it's often not
> kind to gels with fat noses!
> It's not a fisheye effect but it can swell the face out. Short tele is kinder.
> Here's one at 24mm on full frame - the lower face is exaggerated (sensually,
> I hope).
> http://www.pbase.com/afildes/image/121388037

Whether one likes the effect or not, it should be called by its correct
name, lens distortion. There may or may not be noticeable perspective
distortion in this image, but there is certainly linear distortion from
the lens. The vast majority of very wide lenses, and, I suspect, all
really wide zooms, have barrel or barrel like wave form distortion.

As long as I was there , I did an alternate interpretation of brightness
distribution.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Fildes/Kaissandra-51.htm>

This was another one I took a look at some time ago. I didn't know the
lens used, so I may have overdone the correction. The enlargement of
certain aspects of her body may appeal to some eyes, but if you look at
the alternative, you may agree with me that some of that effulgence is
lens induced, not natural.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Fildes/Glow.htm>

Moose