Re: [OM] Certainly a beaten subject already,

Subject: Re: [OM] Certainly a beaten subject already,
From: manuel viet <manuel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 01:12:42 +0100
Le mardi 02 mars 2010 00:12:30, Andrew Fildes a écrit :
> I just threw up a gallery here after wandering around Sydney (Circular
> Quay) a couple of weeks ago.
> http://www.pbase.com/afildes/ep2_sydney
> All with the Panasonic 20mm except the bottom row with the 70-300mm,
> shot through my hotel room window. I continue to be impressed with
> this lens.

Impressive indeed.

> A friend I saw last Sunday claims that it is better than
> the 50-200mm SWD he just bought (I suggested he send that one back for
> another example). His absolute favorite is the 14-35mm f2.
> I did apply a little sharpening to some of the Panny images - the
> ferry for instance (look in the sky in the centre edge!) - but the
> taxi, the buskers and the BW shots are not sharpened at all.

Those pics are very crisp. I would have turned the tree roots to b&w myself,
but that's just me. I realised this week-end that (to my taste), the true
value of the E-P1 is in the b&w handling. In fact, 75% of my first pics were
b&w; the ability to put virtual RGYeO filters in a pinch and preview the result
is priceless. I set AF to AE-L, and AE-L to shutter. Manual focusing is great
after upgrading to firmware 1.2

I've always prefered b&w photography, but until the e-p1, no other digicam
felt "right", and I ended mostly shooting poor colour images, or battling with
my computer to re-compose a shot that was bad to begin with.

I just sadly miss a distance & DOF scale, be it on the lens barrel or a
virtual one (c'mon, that can't be *that* difficult, my LX2's been doing it for
ages !). Putting DOF preview on Fn helps somewhat, but it's just... clunky. I
manage, though. Common sense and experience do the trick.

OTOH, I discovered the kit zoom is good enough, I managed to shoot in barely
enough light to read, handheld, (thank you IS), but to go further I just need
a sharp prime, and I'll be set to roam the streets.

--
Manuel Viet