Re: [OM] On Warts and all (was "film stuff from the holidays")

Subject: Re: [OM] On Warts and all (was "film stuff from the holidays")
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 10:15:26 -0600
On Sat, Jan 23, 2010 at 9:27 AM, Russ Butler <rbinnj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
snip
> Yes, I (Russ B) made the comment on Jim's post on the DP article:
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620/page17.asp
>
> The comment on the shots at the bottom of the page BLEW my mind.
> "It's an extremely minor complaint (the likelihood of most people
> noticing it is tiny), but is worth being aware of. "
> If I saw the right one and got the left from a film scan, I'd throw in
> the towel and get an E-1 or -x :-)
>

>> I THINK these examples may illustrate the usefulness of Studio for
>> getting colors mapped "correctly."  For me they get at, especially the
>> first one, something I really like about the E-1 or possibly just
>> Olympus as a whole.  I'm probably just noticing it because I've now
>> got a monitor that's more equal to the task.
>>
>> Both photos were made with the Z 90/2, which definitely has its own
>> "look" on an E.
>
> I'm nearly sold, but I need to borrow that 90/2 just to be sure :-)

Russ, thanks for looking, commenting, confirming -- much appreciated.
The 90/2 on an E is the (nearly) 200mm macro I dreamed Olympus would
release for OM before they announced the end of the line (as though I
would have been able to afford it!).  It seems especially good for
those smaller flowers or just for the famous blur.  Otherwise, I often
use the 50-200.  Wide-open to stopped down once or twice it is nice
and sharp, focuses close, and the blur isn't too jittery.

Joel W.