Re: [OM] On Warts and all (was "film stuff from the holidays")

Subject: Re: [OM] On Warts and all (was "film stuff from the holidays")
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:46:03 -0600

> Perhaps when the E-1 is at its best, the E-3, except for pixels, cannot
> quite match it.

Possibly the only other camera I've seen that comes close to nailing the
colors and contrasts the way I like without post-processing is the Canon 5D
Classic. You do bring up a point, though. When the E-1 is at its best, it is
very hard to match. But the circumstances where the E-1 attains that are
quite narrow. Under ideal conditions, like studio lit portraits, the
in-camera files are perfectly fine and print-ready. Just maybe there was a
reason why that one big "Gypsy Photo Studio" used E-1s. In fact, under
strobe lighting, which emits substantial energy in the UV and IR spectrum,
the E-1 is simply amazing. In overcast, not so much.

My brother sent me the files taken with the Nikon D300 of my Dad's wedding
of which I incorporated in the album with all of the E-1 pictures which were
used for the bulk of the pictures. We used his Nikon for the group shots
where the extra resolution was thought to be better. (in the end, the final
print size of the group shot was about 10 inches wide, so the E-1 would have
sufficed perfectly. Anyway, the color differences between the cameras is
night and day. You could get the skin tones to match and then the rest of
the colors went berzerk or you could get the colors and contrast to match
and the skintones looked like toothpaste.  Yes, it's partially "profiles",
but the fact is the sensors see differently.

I too await a m4/3 body with built-in EV.

Me too, me too...

> However, I may become sidetracked as I am lusting after the 50-200
> SWD.  If I could only be assured that it has all of the qualities I
> value in the the old 50-200, especially for close-focusing.  I suppose
> I could keep both, but it's hard to imagine having both lenses!

The 35 Shift is feeling kinda lonely.  ;)

AG