Re: [OM] HDDs & BU [was OT - new monitor setup]

Subject: Re: [OM] HDDs & BU [was OT - new monitor setup]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:31:43 -0600

> I think there are only 3 DVD manufacturers in the world.  I think all
> are Korean.

I worked for a company that made radio broadcast equipment. I think this
particular company mode both the first NAB cart machine as well as the last.
We discontinued the line when the sole supplier of spindle motors ceased
production of that product. We asked them to keep the line going, but
couldn't convince them. The one guy who knew how to run the lathe retired.
When he retired, that was it.  End of a 50-year product run.

Digital Audio systems were ruling the roost anyway, so sales of the units
dropped way down, but we stockpiled up enough motors to handle 10 years of
replacements and the rest were used to make up one final production run
which was expected to handle sales for the next three or so years.  ONE
customer order wiped out nearly the entire production run as well as half
the replacement motors.

AG