Re: [OM] OT - Help with GPS navigation on Nokia N82

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Help with GPS navigation on Nokia N82
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:21:40 -0600

> Free maps would be nice but I wouldn't know where to get them if they
> exist.  Garmin wants USD 60 for an annual update which I do not buy.  I
> did get one free update when I had to turn my Nuvi 350 in to get the
> power button fixed just before the warranty expired.  When it came back
> it was a replacement refurb unit with the latest maps installed.  I
> haven't been able to tell the difference.  It still has as many holes in
> its knowledge base as it always did.  :-)

My Palm Centro has the google-maps implementation in it. No turn-by-turn,
but it does tell you the current cell-tower location you are served off of.
Of course, this needs the data plan to use. I know google-maps has been
hacked into most smartphones. As an add-on, I can get the locate-and-track
function for my kids phones. This allows me to know where they are at right
on a map on either the computer screen or my cellphone. Of course, the easy
way to defeat this is to pocket the phone so it loses the GPS signal prior
to, uh, going off course. It shows last known position. My girls already
figured that one out and we haven't even bought the service--yet.

I hooked my low-brow Garmin GPS up to the laptop running Microsoft Streets
and Maps. Not too shabby at all. Quite impressive. Also, when implemented in
with NetStumbler it can do a very nice job of triangulating access points.

But that's not why you called....

I'm not aware of any cellphones that allow access to the built-in GPS
chipset to integrate with a moving-map, turn-by-turn function without a data
plan. I'd think that it won't take too long for an Android app to turn up,
though.

AG