Re: [OM] 5D II pattern noise problem

Subject: Re: [OM] 5D II pattern noise problem
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 22:51:13 +0800
I'm sure there are still thousands of people very happy with the 5D II, it
depends on how they use the camera and their acceptance standard. If one
don't boost exposure in post processing then it should be fine. With this
noise problem you are limited when playing with HDR. For example shooting to
the sun, one may shot at -3 stops to retain the details of the sun and then
push the shadow during post processing so you can mix a normal developed
image with a boosted one to make a better one. To ensure lower noise you
need low ISO and this require NR to remove the pattern noise due to this
problem and low contrast details could be lost in the process.

In most cases if you print the image the shadow noise is not easy visible as
paper has much narrow D-range, shadow and highlight are usually sacrificed
for a good mid-tone.

To me, if I pay that money I need something better, such problem was not on
my 40D, I don't expect it on a 5D II.

C.H.Ling