Re: [OM] change is in the wind

Subject: Re: [OM] change is in the wind
From: Sandy Harris <sandyinchina@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 02:34:42 +0800
On 11/28/09, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  The only advise I would give you would to not jump ship too soon.  If  your
>  > employer is offering a package you want to be sure and get it.
>
> Agreed. However, I know from past experience that it can take a LONG time
>  for somebody like me to land someplace in the type of job I want. ...

If you get a good package or have other assets it might be worth
considering whether you could go somewhere where you could
afford not to work. Of course that need not stop you doing some
work anyway.

I know Chinese costs. From what I hear, Thailand or Vietnam
are roughly comparable, Cambodia or Laos a little cheaper.
Various places in Latin America -- closer to home and the
language is easier -- are also cheap, but I have no details.

To live in luxury here, you'd need maybe $200,000 for setup
cost and $2000 a month thereafter. You could be comfortable
on half that.

China might not work for you. It is rather a strange place
and might not appeal. Also, unless you have work here,
a long-term visa is almost impossible.

However, some othe low-cost place might be an option to
consider. Thailand, for example, does issue retirement
visas.