Re: [OM] Adventures in raw processing WAS: Who in the world, writes thi

Subject: Re: [OM] Adventures in raw processing WAS: Who in the world, writes this junk?
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 09:48:35 -0600

> DeepPeeve won't do that with Studio or Master when they review an E
> camera because they say the output simply matches the jpg.  Of course,
> that's only if you change no settings in the raw converter, but
> whatever ...

I think you can sum up DeepPee's ideals and philosophy to ACR with the
following quote from the Sigma DP2 Review:

"The Sigma's results are rather over-sharpened by our standard workflow
because it includes a sharpening step to compensate for the
low-pass/anti-aliasing filter (which the Sigma doesn't have)."

So, what you have here is their own default setting designed for the normal
Bayer Array that they didn't even bother to adjust for the non-Bayer Array
in the Sigma!  They complain that the Sigma is "OVER-SHARPENED" when it had
absolutely nothing to do with Sigma, but their own dogged, head-in-the-sand
ways.

This is the same attitude they (and other reviewers) take towards the
manufacturer software.  By forcing the filter of acceptability as how well a
camera works with ACR is awefully limiting. This is no different than an
Automobile Reviewer ranking ALL vehicles by how many cupholders they have or
how many grocery bags they can hold. This is how you end up with minivans
being higher ranked than SUVs.  If I want to drive a minivan, I'll buy a
minivan.

AG