Re: [OM] Windows 7 "upgrade", was: Zuiko 250/f2.0 samples

Subject: Re: [OM] Windows 7 "upgrade", was: Zuiko 250/f2.0 samples
From: Scott Gomez <sgomez.baja@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 18:57:10 -0800
Frankly, it was this sort of madness from Microsoft that convinced me to
switch to Linux. If I have to do a format-install OS-reinstall all
apps-search for drivers sort of thing--and worse--pay for the "privilege", I
reasoned, then why not get off the Microsoft treadmill altogether? It's not
like you get any sort of support from Microsoft (or Adobe) for anything that
really matters.

And that was just for home. For work, this sort of thing would have to be
repeated over 700 times.

I'm can quite comfortably state that for the "average" user (one not needing
any sort of specialized application that may not be available for Linux)
there's clearly no need to stay on Windows. I've been running Linux
exclusively for some years now, and the newest versions of Linux are far
better than those older version with which I started. One time to either
install-Ubuntu will retain your existing Windows installation and set up a
dual-boot environment or to format while installing (at many times the speed
of Microsoft's formatter) thus ridding yourself of Windows and its many
security issues. You end up with a system just as easy to use, and having
all the requisite applications--often including full file compatibility with
those from Microsoft.

I would (and have) recommended getting the latest Ubuntu Linux distribution
to many folks as an alternative. My wife's upper-70s mother has been happily
using her installation for well over a year now, and she was a completely
new computer user when we first helped her get the machine.

For myself, Digikam (or F-spot) for photo organization, the GIMP for
editing, and Hugin for panoramics serve perfectly well. Cost: $0. My money
goes to hardware upgrades now, or to paid direct support of *my* problem
(should I ever need it) or to a donation towards further development
instead. The nice thing is it's my choice where it goes :-)

Upgrades? Dead easy. Click the button, and Ubuntu (or Fedora, or...) do the
rest. Even better, with a very simple modification to the installation, one
can have a drive partition for one's data that can safely "ride through" a
full operating system reformat-and-reload. I'd say having to reformat and
install to get from Xp to Win7 makes a perfect opportunity. It's a helluva
lot less expensive, and if it should prove that you don't like it, you can
always go back to Windoze.

---
Scott Gomez