Re: [OM] sometimes you shouldn't window shop - 5D

Subject: Re: [OM] sometimes you shouldn't window shop - 5D
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 07:05:49 -0600
On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 6:39 AM, SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On my usual lunchtime stroll through town on Tuesdays I usually check
> the local camera shop second hand window to see if anything new was
> brought in over the weekend. Today I see the two 5D bodies that have
> been sitting there for about a year at 1800CHF havd been reduced to a
> more realistic 1169 CHF (at the moment a swiss franc is about a dollar
> 0.96) . If I didn't have a camera buying ban still in force and some
> money in the bank  I would probably have jumped, I may still do but I
> wonder if I should wait a bit and get the 5DmkII version which will
> allow me HD video and I presume has even better high iso - I would be
> using it mainly with my zuiko's , but I am finding that photographing
> children (esp. handicapped)  in available light is too much for my E-3.

Having waited this long (I'm speaking for myself rather than you), I'm
not sure I would want the 5D now knowing what the mkII has:  LV and at
least some sort of sensor duster.  Live View would be pretty essential
to me since I would want to use Zuikos as much as possible.  Most of
the Canonistas on list don't seem to use their Zuikos on the 5D.  That
tells me something.

What is the limitation you are experiencing with the E-3?  Is the AF
too slow, high ISO too grainy?

> On another subject I have spent many hours trying to get decent prints
> from my E-3 using aperture, photoshop,  qimage etc. so imagine my
> surprise when I just clicked print in Oly studio (just out of interest)
> to find that  out popped a print exactly as I saw it on screen.

It seems odd that only Studio could match the screen.  I'm pretty
satisfied with PS, but I have a calibrated monitor and build my own
profiles for the various papers I use.  The only limitation I tend to
see is the DR of the monitor (an old Dell LCD).  I guess I don't see
myself switching to Studio to print, but I'm curious about your setup.
 I believe you have a much better monitor than I have, so possibly you
are seeing subtleties that aren't even possible with my gear.  But
I've got Studio using the same monitor profile as PS and just don't
see anything in the print that leads me to feel that PS is messing
anything up, so I can't fathom why you are seeing such a difference.

Joel W.