Re: [OM] sometimes you shouldn't window shop - 5D

Subject: Re: [OM] sometimes you shouldn't window shop - 5D
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 15:01:04 +0100
Please see comments below

> Having waited this long (I'm speaking for myself rather than you), I'm
> not sure I would want the 5D now knowing what the mkII has:  LV and at

I think you are right, next year we have less needed to be spent on the
house and I think I will wait for the 5DMkII
> What is the limitation you are experiencing with the E-3?  Is the AF
> too slow, high ISO too grainy?

To be fair I wasn't using the 12-60 but a 14-54 although focussing
didn't seem to much of a problem it was mainly motion blur that was the
problem, I have my auto iso limit set at 800,  I find going above that
requires much more work post (I have neat image etc.)  These children
can be very hyperactive (will post some pics soon).

>> On another subject I have spent many hours trying to get decent prints
>> from my E-3 using aperture, photoshop,  qimage etc. so imagine my
>> surprise when I just clicked print in Oly studio (just out of interest)
>> to find that  out popped a print exactly as I saw it on screen.
>>
> It seems odd that only Studio could match the screen.  I'm pretty
> satisfied with PS, but I have a calibrated monitor and build my own
> profiles for the various papers I use.  The only limitation I tend to
> see is the DR of the monitor (an old Dell LCD).  I guess I don't see
> myself switching to Studio to print, but I'm curious about your setup.
>   I believe you have a much better monitor than I have, so possibly you
> are seeing subtleties that aren't even possible with my gear.  But
> I've got Studio using the same monitor profile as PS and just don't
> see anything in the print that leads me to feel that PS is messing
> anything up, so I can't fathom why you are seeing such a difference.
>
> Joel W.

I maybe misled you a bit, I can get good results from aperture but it
took a lot of effort to get it that way, and maybe studio benefitted
from that. I have a fully calibrated system (colormunki), but when I
print from aperture I have to adjust the gamma and do little tweaks (and
as we have discussed before aperture or adobe raw do not develop raw
images as well as studio) wheras from studio I just clicked and got what
I saw on screen.  They now all use the same printer profile but I am
guessing they all do their own little changes before sending.

With both issues though the main problem for me is time and not learning
to use the equipment properly which is why I need a new body, which I
also will not know how to use properly ;-)