[OM] IMG: Death of an Oak Tree

Subject: [OM] IMG: Death of an Oak Tree
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 12:01:05 -0400
Hmm,
Perhaps arborcide not euthanasia of an old sick suffering tree.  Nice
image, but not convinced it had to go.  Tubular structures
are very strong and some dead heartwood may INCREASE resistance to
falling in a gale.  Some heartwood gets clogged with resin and stuff
and more subject to rot.  AFAIK, some decaying heartwood does not equal
a decaying tree.
Not sure I'd want a big 'ol tree with other problems hanging over my
house, but the hairs on the back of my neck went up when I saw the
image.
I'd trust an arborist but not a tree removal company.

A. Skeptical  Mike

For more than two years, we have watched a large oak, very close to our
house,
gradually deteriorating.  Several weeks ago, I had the tree checked
with a
device that records the density of the wood.  I showed a hollow area
near the
center of the tree.  Since the usual southwest winds that we get during
storms
would bring the tree down on our house, we had it removed yesterday.
The photo
shows that, in the lower part of the trunk, the heart of the tree was
gone.

So, a tree that we have enjoyed for forty-two years is no more.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Oak+Tree.jpg.html

Comments and critiques welcomed.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA