Re: [OM] How to know when you have too much stuff.

Subject: Re: [OM] How to know when you have too much stuff.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:24:19 -0500

> What did I use? The canon G9 was used extensively as my main digital
> camera, and my Leica/Voigtlander system had about 4 rolls of Black and White
> film put through it.

On the Colorado trip, I shot some digital, but mostly as test shots and
backups.  However, had we hit upon a scene involving wildlife, I probably
would have slammed it into service in a big way.  Digital does have its
place.

But what I found quite interesting is that of my film usage, I was almost
equal shooting of slide film and B&W.  It seemed to complement each other
nicely--when the lighting was bad for slide film, it was perfect for B&W,
and when it was bad for B&W it was great for slide film.  Only a handful of
times was I scrambling to shoot both.

On the Isle Royale workshop, I was predominantly shooting digital.  I regret
that my "vision" at the time was tuned against B&W as I now would have liked
to have printed up some of the shots in B&W that were digital.  "Just
convert" you say?  It ain't the same.

For the Colorado trip I was extremely careful in selecting gear to take.
This time spent preparing was very important and made a big difference in
how I was able to work. Unfortunately, three systems (B&W, Slide, Digital)
causes a lot of duplication and choices to be made.

As I think this through, I probably could survive nicely if I made the
decision to shoot exclusively B&W.  But that's me--I love B&W and am
perfectly content living in an abstract world. From an image-sales
perspective, however, it's hard to not shoot color or digital.

On Saturday, for the first two locations I exclusively used the OM-3Ti and
mostly the 35 F2.8. It just worked well and the bag was small and
manageable--even with a motordrive equipped OM-4T in it.  Had I made the
upfront decision to forgo color, I would have left it either at home or in
the alternative (digital) bag.

Micro 4/3 is actually very interesting to me as this may finally be the
"digital back" for system that I've been looking for.  Fortunately, I'm in
no hurry so I'll wait it out for a while.  What is exciting to me is that
used E-system gear is finally getting down in my price-point for cameras of
adequate performance.  As pixel-counts are leveling off the obsolescence of
"last year's model" is mostly a feature-count issue, of which I'm less
concerned with.

AG