Re: [OM] My recent acquisition! Olympus OM macro!

Subject: Re: [OM] My recent acquisition! Olympus OM macro!
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 14:16:26 -0700
Nice haul, congratulations! I won't envy you too much, as I have all
those items but one.

Note that there are two quite different versions of the 80/4 Macro,
Manual & Auto In addition to the obvious difference in aperture
automation, there are other differences:

1. Although similar, 6 elements in 4 groups, the optical formulae are
different, with slightly different element shapes and spacing. Coating
is probably SC vs. MC, as well. While I would expect optical performance
to be similar, the Auto version is likely slightly better.

2. The mounts are different. The older, Manual version is mounted like
the 50/3.5 Macro, so it can mount directly on a body. Why one would want
to do so, I don't know, as it has no focusing helicoid, so would only be
in focus at one focal distance.

The Auto version has a short mount like the 135/3.5, so won't fit a body
directly. Also like the 135/4.5 Macro, it adds a short focusing helicoid
for fine focus adjustment.

3. With the Auto version, they introduced the Close Up Lens 80mm Macro,
f=17cm. The instructions for this specifically state it is only for use
on the 80/4 Auto. How it might perform on the Manual lens, I don't know.
The filter ring to front element distance is slightly different, but the
importnat issue is the distance to the front node, and we don't know that.

The one piece I don't have, and would be interested in acquiring, is the
Close Up Lens 80mm Macro, f=17cm, should yours not match your 80/4 or
otherwise become surplus to requirements.

For those with a DSLR and no film scanner, the 80/4 with bellows and
slide copier is a useful film "scanner". To quote from myself:

"I have used Auto Bellows, Slide Copier and 80/4 on the 5D. On old film,
late 30s Kodachrome, the results are fully comparable to 4000 dpi scans
on a Canon FS4000. On contemporary film, the scanner captures more
detail, but not a great deal for any use other than quite large prints.

Calculated dpi is about 3100. As some testers have suggested that 3200
dpi gets pretty much what's available on 35mm film, my results aren't
very surprising. "

Moose